March 26 - 28 workshop
March 28 - 29th optional ORFEO ToolBox Training session
Lugar: Salón de Honor, Centro de Extensión del Senado de la República
Edificio del ex Congreso Nacional de Chile
Monday, March, 26, 2018
Monday, March, 26, 2018
Registration and Opening,
Invited conference speaker
Afternoon: Invited Conferences
Continental water from space
- Registration 9h00-9h30
- 09h30 : Opening Ceremony : discourse by Organizing Committee + INACAP + UDEC representatives.
- General discourse on water issues in Chile (A. Stehr, EULA-UDEC, Chile). 30’
- Specific Water issues in Agriculture and Minery in Chile, and role of remote sensing in its future: the CHRIAM project (J. Arumi, CHRIAM-UDEC, Chile) 30’
- Coffee Break : 11h-11h30
- 11h30 : World water issues and a focus on South America. (E. Rodriguez, NASA-JPL, USA) 30´
- 12h00: Progress since the SWOT-South America meeting in Rio, Brazil, 2015 (F. Seyler, IRD, France)
- 12h30: Presentation of the satellite constellation for hydrological science and applications (J-F Cretaux, CNES, France),
- 13h00 Lunch break 1h30 hour
- 14h30 : Opening by Chilean Senator, : F. Chahuan, Member of Chilean Senate’ Environmental Commission.
- The SWOT mission, general overview. (T. Pavelsky, UNC, USA) 30’
- - Worldwide Rivers monitoring from altimetry (S. Calmant (IRD, France) and J. Da Silva Santos (UEA, Brazil))- 20-30’
-Lakes monitoring and observed changes from space (J-F. Cretaux (CNES, France) and A. Ribeiro Neto (FUP, Brazil))-20-30’
Short Round table (questions)
- 16h-16h30 coffee break (around the poster session).
- SMOS-SWOT synergy for hydrological studies (B. Molero (CESBIO, France))- 20’
- Global scale and Amazon surface water dynamic from multi-satellite (F. Papa (IRD, France) + J. Tomasella (CEMADEN, Brazil)) – 20’
- Precipitation (D. Vila (INPE, Brazil) and M. Gosset (IRD, France)) - 20’
- Estuaries science from space (F. Durand (IRD, France) + D. Moreira (CPRM, Brazil)) - 20’.
-18 h - Round table (questions)
The journey Poster session: Institutional poster sessions (research centres, faculties, departments, national institutions and so on).
19 h End of the 1st day.
No Wine allowed in Congress (postponed to Tuesday)
Universidad Tecnológica de Chile INACAP
Sede Santiago Sur
Tuesday, March, 27, 2018
Tuesday, March, 27, 2018
Morning : oral presentations
Integrated studies and operational context.
Afternoon : oral & poster presentations
Satellite based Hydrological studies in South America
9h-10h – Integrated studies worldwide
9h Welcome speech by the INACAP authorities
- Integration of satellite information in hydrological models in South America – (R. Paiva, UFRGS, Brasil) 30’
- SWOT for the Indian Subcontinent (V. Venugopal, IIS, India), 20’
- Integrated monitoring small water objects from space – example of ponds in arid contexts (M. Grippa, GET, France) – 20’
- Historical variability analysis of levels and surface flows in the Orinoco basin from virtual station time series (J.G. Leon, UNC, Colombia) – 20’
Coffee Break : 10h-10h30
10h30-13h Early Adopters and Operational perspective
- NASA Early adopters (E. Beighley, NE, USA)
- CNES/IRD international collaboration overview (Africa (Niger, Tchad, …), Latin America (Brasil, Peru, Bolivia etc)) J.F. Cretaux (CNES, France), S. Calmant (IRD, France) and M. Gosset (IRD, France:
- ANA (Brasil): Brasil needs for RS in Operational context 15’
- CPRM (Brasil): Water RS in Operational context - 15’
-SENAMHI (Peru) : Hydrometeorology/Hydroclimatology from space. 20’
-FUNCEME (Brasil), Meiry Sayuri Sakamoto : Satellite Based activities to monitor Rainfall and water resources in Nordeste Brasil.
- CEMADEN (Brasil) – 15’ – Operational discharge forecast in the Madeira river managed by Cemaden: expected benefits from the use of SWOT (J.Tomasella, CEMADEN, Brasil)
-Satellite Hydrology Science in South Am.
-Short oral presentations on swot AmSud science projects
- Poster Session: Satellite Hydrology Science in South Am.
14h30-16h30 Satellite Hydrology and Hydrology Science in South Am.
Oral presentations (10’)
- S. Yepez et al. (CIPT, Venezuela and GET, France): Retrieval of suspended sediment concentrations using Landsat-8 OLI satellite images in the Orinoco River Venezuela
- O. Saavedra et al. (UPB, Bolivia): Validation of satellite based precipitation in Bolivia for hydrological applications
- Chosen Poster presentation 5’ each
Lakes and Wetland :
- I. Briceño et al. (UMAYOR, Chile): Detection of water quality parameters in Lake Vichuquén and Laguna Torca, with Landsat 8 2016
- R. Cardenas et al. (UC, Cuba): Dynamics of freshwater ecosystems after perturbations of their optical quality.
- A. Ovando et al. (CEMADEN, Brasil): Assessing the hydrology of large wetlands of the Bolivian amazon through Multi-temporal flood mapping and satellite altimetry.
Estuaries and Coastal:
- D. Figueroa et al. (DGEO-UDEC, Chile): Remote monitoring of the coastal ocean using HF-radars: the CHIOOS (Chilean Oceanic’s Observing System).
- V. Vargas et al. (INFOR, Chile): Management of agroforestry basins and local governance: Lessons learned in the Ranquil territory.
- J. Cuevas et al. (CEAZA, Chile): Use of territorial and geographic information systems in hydrological research: Importance, limitations and perspectives.
- Hydrologic and river basins
- Puelma et al. (UCHILE/UFRO, Chile): Using remote sensing estimates of precipitation and evapotranspiration to assess the spatial characteristics of Chilean megadrought.
- G. Staub et al. (DCGG-UDEC, Chile): Water stress detection and analysis in the Andean Precordillera.
- R. Orrego (INIA, Chile): Effect of land use changes on flow of Andalien River in Concepción, Chile.
17h-19h Poster Session: Satellite Hydrology and Hydrology Science in South America.
Briceño et al. (UMayor, Chile): Detection of water quality parameters in Lake Vichuquén and Laguna Torca, with satellite images Landsat 8, sensor OLI, year 2016
Rodriguez et al. (EULA-UDEC, Chile): Influence of (extreme) radiation and optical characterisitic in physical and biological features of a regulated lake.
Collazo et al. (EULA-UDEC, Chile): Seasonal analysis and trend of the surface temperature of Lake Riñihue based on MODIS satellite images in the period 2000-2016.
Ortiz et al. (DGEO-UDEC, Chile): Laguna de Batuco Wetland (central Chile): Spatial variability 1989-2017
Cardenas et al. (UC, Cuba): Dynamics of freshwater ecosystems after perturbations of their optical quality
Escalona et al. (DGEO/FCFM-UDEC, Chile): Determination of the Water Balance in the lake basins of southern Chile. Assessment of the water regime during the 1992- 2017, possible role of anthropogenic and climatic components, and changes from different IPCC scenarios. A PhD Project.
Ovando et al. (CEMADEN, Brazil): Assessing the hydrology of large wetlands of the Bolivian amazon through Multi-temporal flood mapping and satellite altimetry.
Yepez et al. (CIPT, Venezuela and GET, France): Evaluation of atmospheric corrections models in the new Sentinel-2 satellite images on turbid waters to improve estimates of biophysical parameters: The Orinoco River case study.
ESTUAIRES and COASTAL
C. Salas et al. (INPESCA, Chile):Modeling the impact of river discharge in coastal ocean with emphasis on biophysical coupling.
Vasquez et al. (INPESCA, Chile): Variability of satellite chlorophyll in relation to oceanographic processes in inland waters of northern Patagonia (41°30 - 44°00,39S).
Figueroa et al. (DGEO/FCFM-UDEC, Chile): Remote monitoring of the coastal ocean using HF-radars from the coast: the CHIOOS (Chilean Oceanics Observing System).
Vargaz et al. (DGEO/FCFM-UDEC + INPESCA, Chile): Variability of the hydrological cycle in the Loa river basin: Reconstruction of hydrological time series and modelling using WEAP (Water Evaluation and Planning) system.
Payano et al. (HC-UAlcala, Chile): Criteria for the incorporation of information on land use in a Decision Support System for Hydraulic Heritage.
Cuevas et al. (CEAZA, Chile): Use of territorial and geographic information systems in hydrological research: Importance, limitations and perspectives.
Vargaz et al. (INFOR, Chile): Management of agroforestry basins and local governance: Lessons learned in the Ranquil territory.
Fernandez et al. (UFRO, Chile):Water modeling on protected natural areas as a provision of ecosystem services to assess their availability for different uses in basin Southern Chile.
Rubilar et al. (FCF-UDEC, Chile): Assessing water sustainability of advanced genotypes of Eucalyptus forest plantations using remote sensing and ecophysiological tools.
Puelma et al. (UFRO, Chile): Using remote sensing estimates of precipitation and evapotranspiration to assess the spatial characteristics of Chilean megadrought.
Alvial et al. (DGEO-UDEC, Chile): Set of high resolution precipitation gridded data on the central-southern zone (34 ° - 41 ° S) of Chile.
Duran et al. (EULA-UDEC, Chile): Number of days with rain and atmospheric circulation during extreme drought events in central Cuba.
Fustos et al. (UFRO, Chile): Solifluction process derived from InSar time series and satellite precipitation products. Cases over central south Chile.
HYDROLOGIC and RIVER BASINS
Staub et al. (DCGG-UDEC, Chile): Water stress detection and analysis in the Andean Precordillera.
Barria et al. (FCFCN-UCH, Chile):Uncertainties in runoff projections in Southwest Western Australian and Central Chilean catchments.
Martinez et al. (EULA-UDEC, Chile): Effect of the Soil’s Coverage / Use over the nutrient load export in the south center zone of Chile.
Santos et al. (UCT/FAUG-UDEC, Chile): Assessment of snow cover in Sierra Nevada (Spain) analysing the Normalized Difference Snow Index (NDSI) between 2000 and 2014
Orrego et al. (INIA, Chile): Effect of land use changes on flow of Andalien River in Concepción, Chile.
Fonseca et al. (UCT, Chile): Evolution of water consumption by different forest species in the Andes of Southern Chile.
Fernandez et al. (UMayor, Chile): Application of METRIC model for estimating daily evapotranspiration of an intensive olive orchard: Application over rainfed areas in the Maule Region, Chile.
Uribe et al. (INIA, Chile) : Detection of seepage losses in Irrigation Canals with satellite images.